Winter is the perfect time to test out your layering skills and utilize some of your favorite items that are already in your closet to create ensembles. Remember: It’s not about being complicated; it’s about outfit combinations that are greater than the sum of their parts. Plus, should a bit of overheating occur, you can always peel off the garments throughout the day to keep cool and comfortable indoors.
Here are a few of my tips, with outfits to match.
1. Utilize Vests. Especially in a tailored fit, a vest will pull together any ensemble—and any number of layers—into a polished final look.
2. Wear a Cardigan Under your Jacket. This trick adds a layer of warmth but can also be used to incorporate texture and color in an unexpected way.
3. Double Layer Your Sweaters. It’s simple: More knits create more warmth. But also, don’t be afraid to use this trick as a way to play up colors, patterns, and interesting silhouettes, too.
4. Style A Dress Over a Turtleneck/Button Down. With the right under-layering, no dress in your closet has to be designated for the warmer months only.
5. Wear socks with your heels/flats. Allow your feet to leave your outfit’s lasting impression.
6. Accessorize with Scarves. The bigger, bolder, and more blanket-like the better.
7. Try Pantyhose/Fishnets Under Ripped Jeans. Keep your legs and toesies warm and still get away with rocking ripped jeans by using this trick.
8. Layer a Long-sleeve Under a Tank/Cami. The sneakiest way to keep wearing your beloved summer tanks all year long!